Spa treatments can provide therapy for tired hair, rough hands or less-than-perfect skin. But what about all those times when a spa visit just isn’t possible?
Luckily, there are DIY treatments that you can do at home to handle those problems. Josie Feria, Director of Spa Operations at Lapis, The Spa at Fontainebleau offers advice on how to maintain skin, hair and hands in great shape without leaving home.
DIY Treatment For A Touchable Face:
- Prepare pot of boiling water with several bags of chamomile tea – allow tea to steep and release benefits into water
- Place face over steaming pot and cover head with towel to trap steam. You are stimulating the benefits of a steam room.
- Place cucumbers or icy chamomile tea bags well squeezed – on eyes to reduce puffiness
- Dab off excess moisture and apply scrub cream to face in gentle circular and upward motions to face, neck and chest.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm moist washcloth and apply witch hazel or rose or lavender water with spray or cotton pad
- Apply moisture lotion or cream in upward, relaxing massage strokes placing slight pressure on temples and under forehead bridge line to release tension and ease pain
- Instant result is clean, shiny skin with improved texture and appearance
Lapis comparable service: Facial
DIY Treatment For Healthy Hair:
- Take lemon juice and warm green tea and mix mixture; apply mixture to scalp with brush or applicator as you separate hair and pour remaining amount through hair
- Allow mixture to remain on scalp for a few minutes- the tea and lemon work as an astringent to cleanse scalp and hair follicles
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water and apply a combination of plain yogurt and avocado –mix 2 parts fresh avocado and 2 parts yogurt and massage into the hair in circular motions to relax the scalp and stimulate hair growth
- Gently massage temples and base of scalp line. Place plastic shower cap on hair and wrap in warm towel for 10 minutes or until towel cools off
- Rinse thoroughly. Instant result is hair that’s softer, shinier and improved circulation to scalp which is an aide to healthy hair growth
Lapis comparable service: Rescue My Hair
DIY Treatment For Soft Hands:
- Buff and moisturize rough skin using a scrub cream and oil or body lotion
- Mix 4 parts kosher or sea salt with 1 part warm grape seed oil, canola oil or olive oil and mix into a paste
- Massage into hands in upward strokes and in circular motion
- Remove with warm/wet towel and follow with nail care by pushing back cuticle using an orange stick and filing rough nail edges with Emory board. Follow hand massage with body or hand lotion
- Wrap hands in warm cotton gloves or place in plastic bags and wrap with warm towels – instant result is skin that’s clean, soft and luxurious
Lapis comparable service: Spalicious Manicure