Spa Destinations in Queensland, Australia
Winter will soon be upon us in the United States, but in Australia you can look forward to months of glorious summer. Some years ago, I was lucky enough to visit one of the many spas in Queensland, so I’m listing some today that are not only special, but also offer indigenous treatments. This area of the world is home to the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest, the oldest natural rainforest on earth — both of which inspire unique treatments.
Have a look at some of the spas you’ll find “down under.”
· Stephanie’s Spa Retreat – The $1million retreat at the five-star Sofitel Brisbane features seven suites including a twin spa suite. The Spa’s signature treatment, the Opal Rasul Temple provides an uplifting soul strengthening journey guaranteed to evoke warmth and passion for couples seeking the ultimate escape or an irreplaceable bonding experience for mothers and daughters or best friends. Situated on level three adjacent to the hotel’s pool deck, the retreat enjoys an open-sky environment at odds with the convenience of its inner-city location.
Gold Coast (1 hour drive south of Brisbane)
· Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat offers guests a two and a half hour specialty, the Tribal Dreaming treatment which incorporates a forest walk, didgeridoo healing, ochre clay, an intention ceremony, customized 80 minute massage and the Yin Qi Yang, a four hands massage using two therapists, essential oils and hot stones.
· Spa Hayman makes the most of its beautiful surroundings with its signature spa treatment, The Ocean Massage. The ultimate sensorial experience lasts for 90 minutes and takes place on a massage bed placed in the ocean. Guests simply drift into a world of total relaxation and tranquility in waters surrounded by gentle tides, tropical fish and the warm Whitsunday sun.
· Spa Qualia takes a contemporary yet indigenous approach to incorporate treatments that rebalance the synergy between mind and body and capture the essence of Australia and the Great Barrier Reef. The spa menu includes quintessential massages, sublime facials, signature ceremonies, indigenous offerings and “It’s a Man’s World” range of treatments. An all-encompassing sensory experience, Spa Qualia has additional facilities including a relaxation area with steam room, outdoor tropical Vichy shower, along with open air yoga and meditation pavilion.
The Tropical North
· Daintree Eco-Lodge and Spa is located in the wilderness of Tropical North Queensland. Developed out of respect and with the approval of the elders of local Kuku Yalanji tribe, the spas’ signature treatment, Walbul-Walbul (Butterfly) incorporates contrasting sensations of oil and desert salts, indigenous products and massage techniques not found anywhere else in the world.
· Silky Oaks Healing Waters Spa – Set in lush tropical gardens, this spa was inspired by ancient wisdoms that celebrated water as a renewing and life-giving force. Drawing on the spirit of the Daintree – the oldest living rainforest on Earth – the Spa is designed with renewal, vitality and well-being in mind. Its’ location resonates with ancient ceremonies and whispers of sacred healings.
· Angsana – Overlooking Palm Cove’s idyllic stretch of sand, Angsana Resort & Spa is a spa enthusiasts’ favorite with its beachfront rooms and open-air, sheltered roof-top pavilions, both with soothing sights of the Coral Sea. Each rooftop spa pavilion has side-by-side massage beds and a private plunge pool with therapists flown in from the Banyan Tree Spa Academy in Phuket, Thailand.
· Reef House & Spa offers luxurious pampering experiences based on ancient Aboriginal techniques and medicines fused with aromatherapy healing methods and Li’Tya natural spa products. The spa embraces different architectural styles from around the world, complete with white-washed walls, terracotta tiles, native timbers and a freshwater moat complete with bridge. The signature treatment is Mala Mayi – a 90 minute full-body rejuvenation during which guests are cleansed, revitalized, energized, exfoliated, cocooned in Mapi while enjoying a Paudi scalp massage.